Sunday, October 18, 2009

Portomarin to Palas de Rei

The river at Portomarin is very interesting. Someone told me it covers ruins of an ancient city. I could see some of the ruins as I crossed the bridge, but didn´t know at the time what I was looking at.

How do I feel about the last 100km? My body is saying ÿippie¨, my soul is saying; ¨what an incredible journey, I will be sad to see it end¨. I get tired from walking, but I never tire of walking. It´s not that I won´t be excited to see my family and friends, it´s ... kind of hard to explain. Every person I have talked to, who has been on their last day, has had tears in their eyes, emotional, that their pilgrimage is soon to be over. Hard to understand maybe, if you haven´t experienced it. (More in another post about why people walk the Camino)

Sunday: It´s foggy. I don my rain jacket and cover my pack with a rain cover, just in case. The air is filled with moisture and there isn´t much scenery visible, due to the fog. My hair is wet with dew just like the plants I´m passing along the way. With my green pack cover, I look like a walking plant!

After 2 hours of walking, I think the fog begins to clear. Actually, I´ve climbed in elevation and walked out of the fog.

I was so rattled by the cows yesterday, I forgot to write about the most enjoyable part of the day. I was walking along a path lined on both sides with a stone wall and greenery. The path was shaded by a canopy of trees. It sounded like I was walking through a bird sanctuary, and they were putting on a private concert just for me. (no ipod needed!)

I´m feeling great as I walk today, until I reach 17km. I plan to stop at the next town 3.5km away, however, the Albergue was closed for the season. I must walk on 4km more to Palas de Rei. I pass Marriana and Annaleigh (only because they are sitting down) they notice that I´m walking very slowly, obviously in pain. We meet at the Albergue and end up being in the same room. They take great care of me with icy-hot, codeine, and ibuprofen. They even put in my laundry with their own. ( Ït´s like having your mother take care of you!) What a wonderful help! It´s probably tendonitis, ibuprofen should take care of it.

More thoughts on burdens/packs:
I was laughing to myself today when I thought about what I must have looked like (when I fell) lying on my back unable to move. Much like a turtle that has been flipped on it´s back. You can picture that, right? It didn´t even occur to me, at the time, that I could just undo my pack, leave it on the ground, and get up! No, I had to keep it strapped on. It also occured to me that when we carry burdens, it´s so much more likely that we will fall ( and fall hard) when we stumble. If I hadn´t had my pack on my back the other day, my guess is, I would have stumbled, but not fallen to the ground. Just food for thought.

I´d like to take it easy tomorrow (for my ankle), but they´re calling for rain tues-thurs. So, I´m tempted to cover as much ground as possible before the rain hits. We´ll see....

Until next time...

6 comments:

  1. hey Ter!
    We're with you all the way, in not wanting your pilgrimage to end.I can't wait to hear why people choose to take these journeys. I sense that they are searching for more out of life. My new dream is to also do this, in my lifetime!
    You continue to inspire me and I see how God always meets your needs. Thank goodness for faith-filled women like you! Easy now on the body...Salu &Shalom my sister. Love, Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Terri,
    Aren't we so grateful for the times when as mothers, God gives us a "mother" to help us along and take special care of us when we need it most! He is such a faithful Provider to us! So glad that Mariana and Annaleigh were there for you. Can't wait to see you, Mevanee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terri-
    I hope the weather will cooperate for you tomorrow. Sorry you are hurting, but go easy on the codeine:)...it is constipating!!
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terri,

    I look forward to talking to you about how this experience has changed you and changed your perspective on various things. A lot has happened here since you left. I wonder how you will find that we have changed in the last 30 days, because we surely have.

    One thing I can say for sure; not having Terri Decker around has demonstrated what an important place you occupy in the lives of the people here. Your absence has been deeply felt. We will be very happy to have you back. I hope you are taking a lot of pictures, especially of your bovine nemesis!

    Larry

    ReplyDelete
  5. terri---we will be praying that your last week will be exactly what God needs it to be for you...and by reading all of your prior blogs I know that He will not fail in taking care of you in that way! Know that we are all anxious to see your photos and get the chance to talk with you about your incredible journey! we love and miss you! angela

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, Cherry. You country girl, you. I know someone who does calf-roping, if you want to give it a try when you get back.

    I know it will be an adjustment to leave your camino and return to your other world. I imagine it feeling kind of lonely, even when you are surrounded by family and friends, because we didn't walk it with you.

    Gotta run.

    Martha

    ReplyDelete